St Katherine’s School – North Somerset Council
M&E works; energy management and utility procurement; HVAC and associated control systems; lighting and luminaire replacement; installation, operation and maintenance of new energy saving measures – boilers, insulation and lighting controls; planned and reactive maintenance.
We developed an innovative partnership approach with St Katherines, which we've been delivering since 2006.
What was St Katherine’s School looking for?
St Katherine’s School is an 11 to 18 co–educational comprehensive school in the village of Pill, North Somerset, with 1,016 students. Schools like St Katherine’s now manage and control their own finances. In line with the school’s primary aim of education, teaching and materials receive high priority. But this had been at the expense of investment in building fabric and maintenance. The school authority wanted to halt the deterioration of its assets whilst also ensuring health and safety compliance, control of energy costs and best–value from its maintenance budget.
How did we help?
MITIE has developed an innovative partnership approach which protects the education budget and enhances working conditions for pupils and staff. It also improves cost control of volatile energy bills, and reduces carbon emissions in line with the authority’s environmental objectives by investing in energy saving measures that use the resulting cost savings to fund the improvements. The scheme includes long term technical management to guarantee health and safety compliance, controlled energy costs and best value maintenance through the service provision.
- Fixed long–term energy and maintenance costs through a unique capital investment vehicle;
- Over 15% emissions reduction;
- CRC energy and emissions compliance;
- Supporting student awareness of the environment through seminars;
- Better clarity for ongoing capital expenditure needs;
- Better Ofsted rating;
- A joined up energy supply, maintenance and operational approach – delivering higher levels of service than previously at a similar cost;
- Protection from volatile energy price increases and disruption due to plant failure.