As a multiple award-winning scheme, the Real Apprentice is setting the bar for others to follow when it comes to employment strategy for the hardest-to-reach groups. And at MITIE we love nothing more than paving the way for innovation…
Back in 2005, in response to the lack of sustainable local talent, we launched the Real Apprentice scheme, an operational programme specifically for unemployed young people living in East London. Today, the Real Apprentice is available to a much wider audience and concentrates on the soft skills to give lifelong employment opportunities. Time keeping, attendance, communication, interpersonal skills and pro-activeness are all key elements of the programme.
In practical terms, the scheme offers Real Apprentices between eight and 12 weeks of training, including a pre-placement week to increase their confidence in a professional environment, and an operational placement either on a MITIE site or with one of our clients or suppliers. On top of that, participants will go through formal appraisals and CV and interview workshops, work together as a team to complete a community challenge and attend an employer’s day on completion of the programme to discuss vacancies with potential employers.
Over the years, we’ve pushed the boundaries and run dedicated programmes to raise the game on disability and mental health. The results have seen barriers taken down and far greater awareness among our people of the real benefits of a diverse workforce.
Our clients have also come on the journey with us. Many of them see the Real Apprentice as a ‘best practice blueprint’ for employers wishing to contribute to the regeneration of their local communities.
Awards for the Real Apprentice
- Lord Mayor of London’s Dragon Awards for Economic Regeneration
- National Training Awards –London Regional Winner
- Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion – Large Employer
- Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion - Innovation
- BiTC Big Tick Workplace Inclusion
- Chartered Institute of Professional Development Finalist for Talent Attraction & Management
- European Commission’s European Employee Volunteering Awards UK winner for Innovation and Large Company – sole representation of UK in the European heats
- Overall winner – Innovation category - European Commission’s European Employee Volunteering Awards
- BITC Big Tick Award for Excellence in the Work Inclusion category
- Opportunity Now Award for Jane James - Directing Diverse Talent
- Race for Opportunity – Widening the Talent Pool
- BITC BigTick – Employability – 2007-2009
Formal apprenticeships - find out more
MITIE also offers traditional apprenticeships schemes in the UK with over 1000 currently training across our business in a range of technical and FM apprentice programmes.
If you would like to know more or get involved with the Real Apprentice scheme, get in touch.