Mitie wins prestigious IWFM, Green Apple and Green Fleet awards for Plan Zero initiatives, and is in the running to land more
Mitie is celebrating after winning numerous prestigious industry awards in recent weeks recognising the ambitious and successful approach of our Plan Zero initiative. Finalists in 10 additional awards this year, with some yet to be announced, Plan Zero is proving to be a decarbonisation market leader.
Positive Climate Action
In October 2021, Mitie was the proud recipient of the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management (IWFM) Impact Award for Positive Climate Action 2021. The award recognises Plan Zero, Mitie’s ambitious strategy to achieve net zero operational carbon by 2025, celebrating the significant progress Mitie has made in reducing emissions to date. IWFM also identified how Plan Zero applies Mitie’s in-house decarbonisation expertise to deliver solutions for clients, saving customers 353,000 tonnes of carbon in the last decade.
Achieving net zero by 2025
Plan Zero has so far achieved a 26% reduction in carbon emissions year on year. Action taken by Mitie includes:
- Transitioning to the largest fully electric fleet in the UK, with over 1152 EVs, and over 776 on order
- Completing desktop and physical surveys, with associated reports for all buildings
- Optimising the energy consumption of the 15 most significant sites, including changing A/C controls settings or optimising BMS (Building Management Systems) strategies
- Implementing larger CAPEX reducing carbon emissions by 44% of the company’s FY18/19 emissions baseline figure
- Launching a Carbon Conscious Building selection guide, ensuring new properties acquired meet low-carbon guidelines
- Using a non-toxic, biodegradable, natural and organic cleaning product, reducing waste and eliminating chemicals. (Used at Mitie sites and over 60 client sites, covering over 1.49 million square metres).
Championing environmental and green best practices
In November, the Plan Zero team at University College London Hospital (UCLH) were announced as the National Champion for Environmental Best Practice, Property & Estate Management at the Green Apple awards. Mitie has implemented a Sustainability Calendar, which has improved sustainability and staff engagement. Throughout the year themes were showcased, including Paper Waste Reduction, resulting in an 85% reduction in paper consumption and Plastic Waste Reduction preventing 252,000 pieces of plastic cutlery from entering landfill. Further areas showcased included volunteering and health and well-being programmes.
Cannes media spotlight
In a further success the Plan Zero video was awarded Silver in the Environmental Issues and Concern category of the Cannes Corporate Media & TV Awards, entered by our partner creative agency.
Leading the way for EV
Mitie attended the Green Fleet Awards at the British Motor Museum on 1st December as a finalist for Private Car Fleet of the Year. No win in this category, but the team came away with arguably the most prestigious accolade of the evening, the Green Fleet award for ‘Outstanding Achievement’.
Industry-leading sustainability solutions
Mitie is a finalist in ten further awards categories including:
- The Telca awards for Net Zero Leaders, Best Customer Service – Large, Consultancy of the Year – Large, Most Trusted Consultancy – Large and The Wellbeing & Diversity Award.
- Green Fleet awards for Private Car Fleet of the Year.
- BCIA award for Best Service and Maintenance Provider for Network Rail
- Edie’s Sustainability Leaders Awards 2022 for Business of the Year, Transport/Fleet Management Initiative of the Year and Waste and Resource Management Project of the Year. (Announced February 2022)
Mitie has published its latest ESG report, which provides insights into its progress towards achieving its ambitious ESG goals over the past Financial Year (“FY23”). The report highlights the positive strides Mitie has made…
Mitie’s Midlands Hub in Bickenhill, Birmingham, has been officially opened by Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands. As well as acting as the base for Mitie’s Central Government & Defence business, the site…
Mitie’s latest e-book, released today, tackles the five biggest challenges to reaching net zero, and shares insights on how organisations can overcome each one. As the UK’s leading facilities management company, Mitie’s energy management,…
The Mitie Foundation is celebrating its 10th anniversary, having spent the last decade supporting disadvantaged groups in overcoming barriers to employment. The Foundation also supports the communities in which Mitie colleagues live and work,…